Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Breakfast: Not So Fresh From the Farm


A group of us headed down to Rehobeth beach Delaware this past weekend, and we ended up with only 4 hours of sleep in sweltering 100 degree weather at the beach house that night. Delirious, tired, hot and hungry, we settled for  Bob Evans for fuel before braving the hot beach sun the next morning. Mind you... I have never been to a Bob Evans ever before, I had know idea what to except, but I was in the company of good friends, so it can't be that bad... right?
Justin and Garrett were ahead of everyone... they must have been very hungry...


Strawberry Banana Smoothie
My friend Lauren ordered this, it was made with yogurt, banana's, and strawberries. A tad too sweet for my liking, but the balance of strawberry and banana was perfect. The consistency was thick enough to get a good workout from sucking through the straw.
Price: $2.75


Blue Ribbon Apple Pie Fries
They sounded so interesting, I just had to try them! The batter was ridiculously thick and flavorless. The inside revealed chopped apple pie filling that was intensely sweet. Add the caramel dipping sauce, and I'm surprised my dentist didn't jump out and give me a good back hand. Overall...expect tooth cavities. And WTF was up with the lettuce leaf? Please don't try to make deep fried pie bits healthy. Just dont. Plus it made the batter taste like a wet towel.
Price: $3.99

Blueberry Crepes
Buddy ordered this one. 2 crepes filled with cream cheese and topped with blueberry pie filling and a healthy dollop of whipped cream. The crepes were too greasy, and the left over blueberry jizz on the plate looked unappetizing. But that didn't stop me from trying a bite! The filling helped balance out the sweetness of the blueberry topping. The crepe had a nice elasticity to it that made it fun to eat. I could have done without the topping all together and been content.
Price: $6.75

Bacon and Cheese Omelette
My friend Lauren ordered this as well, and holy shit there was about half a pigs worth of bacon in this. I couldn't resist a bite. Full fledged cheese and bacon flavor. If this omelette even touched a kosher restaurant, I'm sure it would go up in flames. The home fries were very greasy and tasteless, all the flavor seemed to go to the eggs as they were over salted.
Price: $7.75

Biscuits
Didn't have any for fear of eating the whole basket


Farm Fresh Egg Combo Plates
About half the table ordered these, choice of meat, eggs cooked to your liking and hash browns.
Price: $6.99


Veggie Omelette
Since we were going on the beach, I didn't want to get anything too heavy so Sam and I went with a "healthy" option. I was puzzled to see that the tomatoes and onions were raw on top of my omelette since the spinach and peppers were cooked inside. Did they forget and think "screw it, she can eat raw onions'? Oh well, good thing I like onions. The fruit was perfectly ripe which I enjoyed very much.
Price: $7.75


(From left) Buddy, Me, Garrett, Jenn, Lauren, Anthony, Sam, and Justin ready to get some fun in the sun!
Verdict: Chains are usually popular for a reason. Bob Evans is around because they serve it to you diner style with healthy options. Would I pee my pants of excitement if I knew I was going to go there again? Probably not. But for someone on a budget looking for a solid breakfast, I say it's pretty okay but a bit too greasy and sugary for my liking. But being with great friends made up for it :)

Bob Evans
Look it up Yourself Lazy People
www.bobevans.com

No comments:

Post a Comment